Jason Lazarus is an artist exploring vision and visibility. His work includes a range of fluid methodologies: original, found and appropriated images, text-as-image, animated GIFs, photo-derived sculptures made collaboratively with the public, pigment-inks-as-image, live archives, and public submission repositories among others. This expanded photographic practice seeks new approaches of inquiry, embodiment, and bearing witness.
Lazarus also organizes PDF-OBJECTS, an itinerant sculpture/text repository; Coco Hunday, an alternative exhibition space in Tampa, FL; and is Co-Founder of Chicago Artist Writers, a platform that invites artists and art workers to write traditional and experimental criticism with a focus on under-represented arts programming in Chicago. Currently, he is an Assistant Professor of Art and Art History at the University of South Florida.
Public lectures include Yale University, International Center of Photography NYC, Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago; George Eastman Museum, California College of the Arts, Columbia University (NYC), the Art Institute of Chicago, Common Field (LA), and Artists/Designs/Citizen (US Pavilion, 2018 Venice Architecture Biennale). His works can be found in the permanent collections of the Art Institute of Chicago, SFMOMA, the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, and High Museum of Art among many others.
His new project monograph, 202-456-1111, featuring an essay by Martha Rosler and published by the Visual Studies Workshop in Rochester, NY is now available for order. Currently, he is an Artist-in-Residence (2018-2019) at Mana Contemporary Miami.
*this website is in a soft launch phase throughout the spring, content will continually be added and refined throughout this period–a big thank you to Useful Art Services for collaboration, design, and ongoing support…
- Art Forum (Critics Picks) by Claudine Ise(PDF)
- NY Times Reviews 99 Cents or Less(PDF)
- Frieze Review by Carmen Winant(PDF)
- Los Angeles Times Review by Christopher Knight(PDF)
- Art Agenda Review by Jeanne Gerrity(PDF)
- Hyperallergic Review by Seph Rodney(PDF)
- NY Times "In Books and Art, the New Life of old Photography" by Su Wu(PDF)
- Review of 202-456-1111 by Roula Seikaly
- Vice Interview with Matthew Leifheit(PDF)
- Frieze Review by Zachary Cahill(PDF)
- Art Forum, Preview by Lori Waxman
- NPR, The Picture Show by Mito Habe-Evans(PDF)
- Frieze Review by Jason Foumberg(PDF)
- Chicago Tribune, Steve Johnson(PDF)
- Art Slant, James Pepper Kelly(PDF)
- Granta (Collaboration w/Ariana Reines)(PDF)
- The Guardian, Nadja Sayej(PDF)
- Kansas City Star Review by Alice Thorson(PDF)
- American Art, The Afterimages of Emmett Till by Shawn Michelle Smith
- Carla, Interview with Hamza Walker by Julie Weitz(PDF)
- Text Zur Kunst, George Baker on painting, critique, and empathy in the Emmett Till / Whitney Biennial debate(PDF)
- Art Forum Review by Huey Copeland(PDF)